Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Transposition of the wha....

Two weeks ago I had my level 2 sonogram done. I saw two perfect little legs, two perfect little arms, perfect fingers and toes, and a beautifully shaped head. I also learned with great excitement that my beautiful blob is a beautiful blobbett. After seeing all the wonder I noticed the doctor was really spending a long time looking at her heart. Oh no, I thought, is her heart running too fast? No the heart rate was fine. Completely in the norm. However, "she has Transposition of the great vessels." Transpo..what? "Transposition of the great vessels is a condition in which the two major arteries coming from the heart do not twist in opposite directions. This makes it so the oxygenated blood does not flow properly through the body. ....At this point everything is getting blurry and my hearing is fuzzy. "Surgery will be necessary within 10 days after birth and she will need to be in the NICU until that point..."Is she going to be okay???? "Success rate is very high for this surgery. We need to do an amniocentesis to make sure everything else is okay."....Whatever the baby needs..... I need to talk to my husband...

Thankfully during this whole ordeal my mom and sister Liz were right next to me asking the necessary questions and being extremely supportive. After getting home I was able to do some research on it. I felt very comforted after the research. Basically my Beautiful blobina has a heart condition that means her oxygenated blood will not flow properly to her extremities without surgery. It is a more common condition than people know. If surgery is not performed chances of survival past a year are extremely slim. However, they have been performing this particular surgery for almost 30 years now with nearly a 98% success rate. If performed withing the first week of life there is even a chance that her heart will be very healthy later in life and that scar tissue will not even be visible.

I know that God is looking out for my beautiful girl. I know that God would never give her or I something we could not handle in life. She is in God's hands and I am comforted to know that He is in control and not myself.

My beautiful little blobbett is well on her way and will be extremely loved when she gets here. She will be happy and God willing healthy very soon.

1 comment:

  1. Shauna,
    I felt alot of emotion when your mom asked for prayer in church, and I feel that same emotional response now.
    You are a strong woman of faith and a great example to those around you of trusting in God when we have the vision bluryr/head fuzzy moment.
    You have a lot of people praying for this gal and I know she is a strong little baby from what you described of her antics.
    I love ya and am praying for you at this moment.
    Tell your little blobbett hi from my son :)

    ReplyDelete